Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I am still here

Hello, friends! I am still here, still in Afghanistan, still fighting the dust, wind, poor Internet connection and dysfunction of my deployed "family." I have written several posts but have been unable to upload from my personal computer, because of the non-existent connection from my room. I am online today at a MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) facility at our forward base within the province. I snuck up here for a "break" from the craziness that is our headquarters at the big base where we usually live.

"Break" is a little tongue-in-cheek, as it is pretty austere up here: tent living, water rationing (for showers, not for drinking) and a very limited meal menu. You eat what they serve! But, there is a great coffee and pizza shop, the French are great hosts and the night sky is beautiful. We are allowed lunch in the French chow hall and I was shocked at the big rounds of cheese just there for the cutting. I had Gorgonzola brie and Havarti, spread on local naan bread! I could get used to this life!

While the team runs missions into some of the districts near here, I am continuing to network with our French counterparts, and will try to do clinic with the French docs tomorrow morning. Do you remember the local national who was injured in the thrasher machine in July? The American surgeons were unable to save his hand but he did survive the incident. (Infection was a very real possibility.) The hand was amputated and a skin graft done. I hear that the site looks good. I hope to see it tomorrow when he returns for a dressing change.

That is all from here. I see Nate is up so I am going to try to Skype with him before I max my 30-minute time limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment